Product ID : HS1002
“I learned a great deal about the stock market, it was outstanding. I also liked the idea of having students create a resume to assist with their future plans/goals.” – Susan B.
The phrase, “college and career readiness,” is the latest buzz in faculty meetings across this nation. With the nationally recognized Common Core Standards devoting an entire classification to this standard, schools are taking a second look at the steps they take to prepare students for life after high school. In this course, you will dive into the Common Core College and Career Ready anchor standards, evaluate your own lessons to see if they meet these standards and look at strategies to incorporate these post-secondary skills to your curriculum. The projects in this course help teachers create activities for their students that will build skills needed for success after school. For example, resume writing and conducting interviews connect with the College and Career Ready standards for reading, writing, listening and language. Teachers will also learn how a “Young Entrepreneurs” unit will tap into their students’ interests and develop strong marketing and presentation skills. Finally, teachers can bring clarity to the stock market mayhem by having students create their own portfolio using actual publically traded companies and Excel.
This course is also packed with information on making your activities more rigorous, resources for implementing College and Career Readiness activities and the effective use of technology. Where else can you have fun preparing students for life after school and earn 18 hours of professional development?! Get “readiness” and enjoy your professional development experience!
PROJECTS TO BE COMPLETED
1. College and Career Readiness Lesson Plan Evaluation
2. Augment a Resume and Paragraph Reflection
3. Lessons that Foster Speaking, Listening and Language Skills
4. Prezi Presentation: Business Plan
5. Analyze Global Events and Market Trends
6. Create a Stock Market Portfolio in Excel
7. Online Participant Survey
Basic computer file management knowledge, e.g. opening, saving and uploading files, etc.
Basic spreadsheet knowledge, e.g. entering and formatting data, writing simple formulas
Note: Step-by step directions for creating a spreadsheet are provided in Microsoft Excel 2010, but any spreadsheet program is acceptable.
Basic Internet skills, e.g. searching, bookmarks, accessing web pages, creating an account
Note: You will use the free online presentation software, Prezi, to create a business plan presentation for one of your projects. Directions are included in this text, but may change due to the nature of the Internet.
· Microsoft Excel®, or similar spreadsheet program
· Adobe Reader 11.0.01 or later
PROFESSIONAL LEARNING OBJECTIVES
· Identify errors and improvements to be made in a mock resume and execute the appropriate corrections to enhance the resume.
· Research and evaluate the best techniques that foster age appropriate interviewing skills. Using these methods, teachers will empower the students’ verbal communication skills.
· Integrate resume writing skills into lessons to improve student writing skills.
· Plan and create a Prezi® presentation for the classroom. Teachers will use this tool to engage student learning.
· Learn and identify stock market vocabulary and follow stock market trends.
· Integrate the stock market spreadsheet tracking skills to develop dynamic and exciting lessons that enhance student understanding of the global economy.
COMMON CORE STANDARDS