Product ID : MATH1001
“I think the stand out project is to create the different lesson plans based on the Common Core standards. It taught me that I can still teach lessons that my students will be engaged in and interested in, while following the Common Core Standards. It was an eye-opening project for me!” – Katie V.
The Common Core Standards, with the addition of the “Standards for Mathematical Practice,” are designed to develop critical thinking skills in our students. This course will help teachers understand the purpose and intention of the Common Core Standards initiative. It will show how to integrate the new Standards for Math and the Standards for Mathematical Practice when creating their own lesson plans. Teachers who take this course will explore the Core Standards website, gain an understanding of what should or should not change in their curriculum and what is expected for those that choose to adopt the Common Core Standards. Professional articles, books and websites are provided resources that will offer guidance on how to deliver instruction, assess students (so there can be quick intervention) and offer advice on sharing information with a collaborative team to ensure support. Earning professional development while developing new lesson plans for your class equals time well spent!
PROJECTS TO BE COMPLETED
1. Common Core Math Standards Assessment
2. Video Reaction
3. Lesson Plan- Domain: Numbers and Operations
4. Lesson Plan- Domain: Operations and Algebraic Thinking
5. Lesson Plan- Domain: Geometry
6. Lesson Plan- Domain: Measurement and Data
7. Online Participant Survey
Basic computer file management knowledge, e.g. opening, saving and uploading files, creating folders, basic word processing skills such as using tables; Basic Internet research skills
· Internet access
· Word Processing Software (MS Word, Word for Apple, etc.)
· Adobe Reader 11.1.01 or later required to edit and save coursework (You can download this software for free at Adobe.com)
PROFESSIONAL LEARNING OBJECTIVES
· Read and research the fundamental parts of the Common Core Standards.
· Assess their knowledge and understanding of the CCSS in a written assessment.
· Observe successful teachers implement different strategies that utilize the CCSS for Math.
· Devise and employ a lesson plan that integrates the criteria found in the Common Core Standard: Numbers and Operations.
· Devise and employ a lesson plan that integrates the criteria found in the Common Core Standard: Algebraic Concepts.
· Devise and employ a lesson plan that integrates the criteria found in the Common Core Standard: Geometry.
· Devise and employ a lesson plan that integrates the criteria found in the Common Core Standard: Measurement and data.
COMMON CORE STANDARDS
· CCS Math 2.1 A (Numbers and Operations)
· CCS Math 2.1 B (Numbers and Operations- Base Ten)
· CCS Math 2.1 C (Numbers and Operations- Fractions)
· CCS Math 2.2 A (Algebraic Concepts K-5)
· CCS Math 2.3 A (Geometry K-5)
· CCS Math 2.4 A (Measurement and Data K-5)