Product ID : SC1001
“Watching the video and completing the reaction questions was a stand-out for me. It was so helpful to see a real-life teacher using Common Core in her lesson...and a science lesson at that!” – Amy P.
If your school or state has adopted the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and you want to know how it will affect your Science curriculum, then this is the course for you! In this course, teachers will explore the purpose behind the CCSS, how Science teachers can use the standards to revamp curriculum, take on fresh teaching strategies and ultimately improve student learning. Science teachers in grades 6-12 can benefit from this course as you will not only explore the standards, but also spend time evaluating your own curriculum, add some new ideas to your repertoire and find and modify other Science-based lesson plans using online resources. You might already be considering a review of your Science curriculum, why not earn professional development hours for your efforts?
PROJECTS TO BE COMPLETED
1. Mini-Curriculum Evaluation
2. Common Core Argumentative Essay
3. Video Reaction
4. Common Core Facts Assessment
5. Modify an Online Lesson Plan
Basic computer file management knowledge, e.g. opening, saving and uploading files, creating folders; Word Processing skills, e.g. formatting, copying and pasting text; Internet searching skills
· Internet Access
· Word Processing Software: MS Word, Word for Apple, etc.
· Adobe Reader 11.1.01 or later required to edit and save coursework (You can download this software for free at Adobe.com)
PROFESSIONAL LEARNING OBJECTIVES
· Evaluate their own curriculum and determine what standards they are using, which ones are missing and where they can be implemented.
· Argue whether or not they feel that the Common Core State Standards will be successful in raising our nation’s youth to compete globally.
· Watch a short online video of a Physics teacher implementing some of the Common Core standards into her class and react to that video using the provided feedback form.
· Assess what they have learned about the CCSS from reading the course text, watching the video and visiting the Core Standards website using the provided CCSS Assessment form.
· Choose a lesson plan they found online from one of the suggested websites and augment the lesson plan to show the Common Core Standards that are already present while adding additional steps to enhance the lesson so that it integrates more Core Standards.
COMMON CORE STANDARDS
· CCSS: ELA-Literacy- Writing K-12
· CCSS: ELA-Literacy- Reading Informational Text K-12
· CCSS: ELA- Literacy- RST Science and Technical Standards 6-8
· CCSS: ELA- Anchor Standards